Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
You MUST BE FASTING FOR A PERIOD OF 8 HOURS PRIOR TO SURGERY, which means no food, water, gum or candy. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your surgery as it can be life threatening. Under certain circumstances, as directed by your doctor, a light meal (such as toast and clear fluids) may be eaten 6 hours before the surgery.
You are advised to:
- Take morning medications as usual, unless otherwise instructed by your surgeon.
- Take these with a small sip of water only and as early in the morning as possible.
- Brush teeth and rinse in the morning before the surgery
- NOT smoke from midnight before the surgery
- Wear loosing fitting, comfortable clothing and sensible shoes (no high heels or flip flops)
- Remove all jewelry, including earrings, tongue studs, rings and belly rings
- Remove nail polish from fingernails and leave contact lenses at home.
- If your appointment is at the Mississauga site, please use the Credit Valley Hospital Parking. Vehicles parked in the Erin Mills Town Centre or in no parking zones around the medical building are frequently ticketed or towed.
- Anesthetic fees are based on units of time. If a vehicle has to be brought from a remote location, the extra time involved may affect the anesthetic fee